Whole Wheat Potato RollsMain Dish, Snacks & Appetizers,
Soft whole-wheat potato rolls make simple sandwiches extra special. Or make half-size for dinner rolls.
- 1-3/4 cups water, hot
- 1-1/3 cups Idaho® Spuds™ Classic Potato Flakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder
- 1 package (1/4 oz.) active-dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- Combine water and Idaho® Spuds™ Potatoes in a medium bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Mix flours, dry milk powder, yeast and salt in a large bowl of a stand mixer or a mixing bowl.
- Stir butter, honey and egg into potatoes. Add to dry mixture and beat with paddle or hook attachment to make a smooth and elastic dough, about 5 minutes. (Or, beat well with a spoon and knead on a floured surface until smooth.)
- Gather dough into a ball and knead 3-4 times on a floured surface. Cut into 8 equal pieces and shape into balls. (Or cut 16 pieces to make dinner rolls.) Place at least 1 inch apart on two lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheets. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until double in size, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes or until rolls sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter if desired. Cool completely before serving, about 30 minutes.
Nutritionals per serving
350 calories, 10g fat, (5.5g sat. fat), 50mg cholesterol, 9g protein, 55g carbohydrates, 400mg sodium, 3g fiber