Twice Baked Sweet PotatoesMain Dish, Snacks & Appetizers,
I love the crispy skin of a twice baked potato in combination with the creamy, sweet inside of a sweet potato.
With a few simple tweaks, I recreated a traditional twice baked potato recipe to make it healthier without losing any of the flavor. In fact, when my friends tried these for the first time, they said they would order these from a restaurant any day!
Recipe exclusively created for Idaho® Spuds™ by DashingDish.com.
- 1 Medium sweet potato
- 1/2 cup Idaho® Spuds™ Classic Flakes
- 1/4 cup Low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1/4 cup Low fat cottage cheese (or 1/4 cup low fat cream cheese, softened)
- 2 tablespoons Plain low fat Greek yogurt (or low fat sour cream)
- 1 tablespoons Grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Microwave sweet potato for 5-10 minutes, or until fork tender (or bake sweet potatoes at 350 for 45-60 minutes, until fork tender.) Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise when cooled.
- Mix together the Idaho® Spuds™ Potato Flakes, milk and water in a medium bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, and stir until creamy. Add the cottage cheese, yogurt, parmesan cheeses and spices to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, (for next step). Scrape the sweet potato out of the peel, leaving a thin layer inside with the peel so that it can stand up on its own.
- Mash the inside of the sweet potato with the potato mixture. Microwave mixture for 1 minute, and stir until well combined. (Cottage cheese curds will melt in microwave, which is what you want!) Or you could place everything in a food processor to get the filling really creamy and smooth.
- Spray potato skins with cooking spray and bake for about 5 minutes to get the outside slightly crisp. Remove from oven and fill each skin with the sweet potato mixture.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Topping: 1 slice center cut bacon, microwaved until crispy, and crumbled