Four Cheese Spud TotsMost Popular, Snacks & Appetizers,
These tots go overboard on cheesy, but if you ask us, overboard is the only way to do cheese and spuds!
- 1 (3.74 oz) package Idaho® Spuds™ Four Cheese Mashed Potatoes, prepared
- 1 ½ cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Scallions, thin sliced
- ½ cup All-Purpose flour
- 2 each Eggs, large
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 qt. Vegetable oil
- ¼ t. Salt
- ¼ t. Black pepper
- Combine Idaho® Spuds™ Four Cheese Mashed Potatoes, cheese, scallions, salt, pepper, and flour, then mix well with rubber spatula.
- In separate mixing bowl, crack eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Place panko bread crumbs in a third bowl.
- To create Spud tots, portion the mixture using a tbsp. and form into balls.
- Dip tot in the egg, making sure it is completely coated, and then roll in panko crumbs, and transfer to cookie sheet. Repeat this process until all tots are portioned and coated.
- In medium sauce pot, heat vegetable oil to 350° F. (Check with thermometer or drop a pinch of flour in the oil.) If flour sizzles when it hits the oil, you are close to the correct temperature.
- Fry the tots in batches until golden brown and place on a paper towel to drain. Serve immediately.
*Optional Cooking Method: Place tots on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes at 400°