Spicy Cream of Potato SoupMost Popular, Snacks & Appetizers,
Simple, delicious, hearty, and a little spicy. This Cream of Potato soup served alongside cheddar and potato biscuits is the perfect for Game Day!
Recipe by Catherine at Living the Gourmet
- 2 Stalks celery - diced
- 2 Carrots - diced
- 1 Vine ripe tomato - diced
- 1 Sweet onion - diced
- 1/2 Cup fresh Italian parsley - chopped
- 3 Cloves of garlic - chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Quarts chicken broth
- 1 Package of Idaho Spuds Four Cheese mashed potatoes
- 2 Cups milk
- 1/2 lb. Bacon - cooked to a nice crispness
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 tsp. Dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1 Large jalapeno - grilled
- 1 Red onion - sliced and grilled
- 1 Lime - sliced
- Fresh nutmeg - for grating
- Heat a heavy sauce pot with the olive oil; add the celery, carrots, tomato, sweet onion, garlic, and Italian parsley. Sauté on a medium heat until the onion is softened and the garlic is fragrant. Add the butter to the sautéed vegetables and toss to melt.
- Add the chicken broth and the seasonings to the pot. Turn the heat to a gentle simmer and cover the pot loosely.
- Heat a small heavy frying pan and place the jalepeño in the pan to char on all sides. When this is accomplished, remove the jalapeño and set aside and slice.
- Place the red onion slices in the pan to grill until a nice char is achieved and set aside.
- Empty the packet of Idaho Spuds Four Cheese mashed potatoes into a medium sized bowl. Add the milk, one cup at a time to the bowl while stirring.
- Slowly add the creamy potatoes to the soup while stirring. Gently simmer the soup for a few minutes.
- Serve the soup topped with the grilled jalapeño, grilled red onion, bacon pieces, a small squeeze of lime juice, a dash of freshly grated nutmeg, and fresh ground pepper.