Shepherd’s PieMain Dish,
Ground meat mixed with vegetables and brown gravy topped with a rich potato topping that requires no heating prior to baking.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 3 tablespoons melted margarine or butter
- 2 cups Idaho® Spuds™ Classic Flakes
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 package (24g) brown gravy mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed peas and carrots
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Combine water, milk, sour cream, margarine or butter, potatoes, egg and salt in a mixing bowl until potatoes are just moistened. Set aside. Mixture will be wet.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef, onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat has fully browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add gravy mix, water, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Heat mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, reduce heat and simmer for one minute. Add frozen vegetables.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 qt. casserole dish. Spread potato mixture evenly across top of the filling.
- Bake until top is lightly golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
*Substitute frozen vegetables for canned corn or black beans
Nutritionals per serving
370 calories, 19g fat, (5.5g sat. fat), 85g cholesterol, 20g protein, 33g carbohydrates, 790mg sodium, 3g fiber