Pull Apart Potato RollsMost Popular, Side Dishes & Soups,
What makes these rolls so tender, moist and soft? Mixing in a little Idaho Spuds, of course!
Recipe by Jillian at foodfolksandfun.net
- 1 (3.74 oz) package Idaho Spuds Four Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon instant or dry active yeast
- 6⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- MAKE MASHED POTATOES: In medium bowl mix together Idaho Spuds and boiling water. Mix until mashed potatoes are combined and thick (you should have about 2 cups of mashed potatoes).
- MAKE DOUGH: In bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook, add all ingredients. Turn mixer to low and mix until combined. Increase speed to medium and mix dough until smooth and soft, about 5-6 minutes. ALTERNATIVE: If mixing by hand, mix in large bowl until dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface, flour your hands, and knead until smooth and soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place dough in extra-large greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 60-80 minutes.
- MAKE ROLLS: Lightly grease standard-sized cookie sheet. Punch down dough to deflate. Lightly flour your hands, and divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Gently roll and smooth dough into rolls. Arrange rolls on prepared cookie sheet (6 rows by 4 rows). Loosely cover rolls with 2 sheets of lightly greased plastic wrap, and let rise at room temperature until close to double in size, about 80-90 minutes.
- BAKE ROLLS: About 60 minutes into rolls rising time, adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Bake until rolls are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. As soon as rolls come out of oven brush with melted butter. Let rolls cool about 10 minutes before pulling apart. Serve warm or at room temperature.