Mashed Potato Black Bean BurgersMost Popular, Snacks & Appetizers,
Your search for the perfect black bean burgers is over! These make a healthy and filling meal or you can even make them into sliders for a mouth-watering game day appetizer.
Recipe by Sarah at Live, Eat, Learn
- 1 15Oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Cup roughly chopped white onion
- 1/2 Red bell pepper, seeds removed
- 1/2 Jalapeño, seeds removed
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. Smoked paprika or 1 adobe chili
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Cup Idaho Spuds Four Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. each of salt and pepper
- 8 Hamburger buns (or 12 to 15 mini buns for sliders)
- Optional toppings: cheese, tomato, lettuce, red onion, pickles, condiments
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread black beans onto a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until beans have split open and are slightly dry.
- In a food processor (or chopping finely by hand) combine onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, paprika, and cumin. Spoon mixture into large skillet and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat until fragrant. Try to squeeze out excess moisture with your spatula and place back in food processor.
- To the food processor add baked beans, egg, bread crumbs, mashed potatoes, salt, and pepper. Pulse until roughly combined (you can also combine and mash by hand).
- Form mixture into 8 regular sized patties or 12-15 mini patties if you want to make sliders.
- For burgers that are firm all the way through, bake on parchment paper lined baking sheet at 375ºF for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. For burgers that have a crisp outside and softer inside, brush with oil and grill or cook in a skillet 5-8 minutes per side.
- Serve on warm buns with whatever toppings you prefer.