Goat Cheese and Maple Potato Stuffed SquashMain Dish, Side Dishes & Soups, Snacks & Appetizers,
Tangy goat cheese and maple syrup make a surprise sweet twist in this fall-festive recipe.
- 2 small acorn squash, 1-1/2 – 2 pounds each
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 (3.75 oz) package or 1 cup Value size Idaho® Spuds™ Country Buttered Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup, divided use
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut squash in quarters and scoop out seeds. (For easier cutting, microwave whole squash 1 minute.) Place squash cut sides up on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with melted butter. Place 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar in the cavity of each squash.
- Bake 45 minutes or until tender.
- Just before squash is done, prepare potatoes with water, butter, salt and milk per package directions. Place pan over low heat. Stir in goat cheese and 3 tablespoons maple syrup until cheese is melted and potatoes are hot.
- Spoon potatoes into warm squash; drizzle with remaining maple syrup and top with walnuts. Can be made ahead and held in 250°F oven about 30 minutes. Top with syrup and walnuts just before serving.
Nutritionals per serving
270 calories, 10g fat, (4.5g sat. fat), 20mg cholesterol, 6g protein, 38g carbohydrates, 240mg sodium, 6g fiber