Garden Fresh Mashed PotatoesSide Dishes & Soups,
These potatoes are inspired by a classic recipe in “Joy of Cooking”. A quick-simmered stock of onion, garlic, celery and bay leaf infuses the potatoes with aromatics, then a touch of cream adds a rich finish.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 celery stalk, cut in 4″ pieces
- 1 slice onion, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 cups Idaho® Spuds™ Classic Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Place water, butter, garlic, celery, onion, bay and thyme in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until water is infused with flavor, about 10 minutes.
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and discard. Reserve stock in the saucepan.
- Heat cream in a small microwave-safe container until just hot, about 30 seconds.
- Stir Idaho® Spuds™, salt and pepper into hot broth with a fork until mixture is just moistened and crumbly, about 5 seconds. Stir in hot cream until blended.
Nutritionals per serving
180 calories, 11g fat, (7g sat. fat), 35mg cholesterol, 3g protein, 18g carbohydrates, 270mg sodium, 1g fiber