Creamy Potato Leek and Ham SoupMain Dish, Side Dishes & Soups,
Leeks look like large green onions but have a more delicate, sweeter taste. Be sure to wash thoroughly to remove any fine sand between the layers. This recipe makes a classic creamy potato soup in minutes.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-2 leeks, white and light green parts thinly sliced, (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced ham
- 3/4 cup milk or heavy cream
- 2 cups Idaho® Spuds™ Classic Flakes
- Garnishes (optional) – Shredded Cheddar cheese, Snipped chives
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Add leeks and garlic; cook stirring occasionally until leeks are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add ham and chicken broth and bring to a full boil. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in milk and potato bits, stirring until soup is smooth and creamy.
- Serve hot with cheese and chives if desired.
Nutritionals per serving
200 calories, 7g fat, (3.5g sat. fat), 25mg cholesterol, 11g protein, 24g carbohydrates, 760mg sodium, 2g fiber