Bacon and Leek Potato StrudelMain Dish, Snacks & Appetizers,
Puff pastry strudel filled with savory mashed potatoes, bacon and leeks makes a satisfying light entrée with a crisp salad.
- 1/4 pound chopped bacon (3-4 slices)
- 1 leek, white part only, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1-1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1-1/3 cups Idaho® Spuds™ Classic Potato Flakes
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (one 17.3 oz. pkg), thawed
- 1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Cook bacon in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon reserving 2 tablespoons bacon fat in pan. Set bacon bits aside.
- Add leeks to pan and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat
- Stir in milk, Idaho® Spuds™ Potatoes, ricotta cheese and reserved bacon bits.
- Roll each puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle about 8×11 inches.
- Spread half of the potatos lengthwise on one side of each pastry to within 1/2 inch of long edge and ends. Fold pastry over filling; tightly press together edges with fingers or tines of a fork. Transfer strudels to a lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool completely before serving, about 30 minutes. Serve with a salad.
Nutritionals per serving
250 calories, 14g fat, (7g sat. fat), 25mg cholesterol, 6g protein, 24g carbohydrates, 210mg sodium, 2g fiber